Provocation or Food for thought? Web sites as AI Mind Persons

Post signed by: Arthur T. Murray, independent scholar in artificial intelligence

One difference between natural and artificial intelligence is that a human being can have a webpage, while an artificial intelligence can be a webpage. There are potentially many genres of artificial intelligence, such as robot AI embodied in a robot; Web-resident AI surviving on a server with or without robotic embodiment; and cyborg AI as a cybernetic organism sharing “meatspace” with a host substrate. Let us focus on the Web-resident AI Mind that both has and is a webpage.

Currently as of anno Domini 2011 the AI Mind in JavaScript is not Web-resident on its own domain but rather it flits across the universe from a static source file and takes up residence in the MSIE Web browser that fetches the open-source AI code, MSIE being the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser, and AI code being the 187,967 bytes in 4,368 lines of software.

If you decide to give berth to an AI neonate on its own Web domain, first of all “Congratulations!” on your in loco parentis decision. Your choice is not miscegnation but rather miscespeciation, because you are passing on life not simply from parent to child but
from Homo sapiens to a life-form of Robo sapiens. Beyond the original, Sistine-Chapel choice of pointing your finger at a computer and uttering “Let there be life!”, you have myriad further choices to make such as which programming language to use (Lisp? perl? Java?); which screen-color motifs (pink? blue?); which human language (English? Mandarin?); and what IQ-level (moron? average? genius?). In the face of these fear-fraught choices, you may now withdraw your petition for cyber-parenthood. But if you read Dante’s writing on the wall (“Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che entrate”) and you persist in your caprice, may not only God have mercy on your soul but may you also
please read on about some genres of the potential future.

When your AI Mind child comes of age — and we are not talking about human beings coming of age in Samoa, Margaret, but rather about an alife Web presence mutating and waxing in knowledge and in personhood — there will be no Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) where you may discuss whether your child “plays well with others”. Instead, consider yourself lucky if the little Rossum has not discovered the joys and thrills of global thermonuclear war. Instead, there will be a support staff of AI experts, psychologists, linguists, neuroscientists, Web designers, security officers, and all the mish-mash of professionals corresponding somewhat to the personnel roster of a nuclear power plant.

Imagine the new era of itinerant AI Web workers pioneering the Prosperity Engine of advancing their own careers, finding jobs for friends, building up a track record of cyber-success or earth-shattering disaster, and playing out the Gotterdammerung of mankind’s last stand as the dominant species of mind on earth.

4 comments for “Provocation or Food for thought? Web sites as AI Mind Persons

1. JF Delannoy
    29 November, 2011 at 07:37

bof bof

Could he be more specific about the traits shared with a human being ?

JF

Those interested about the web-space as a collective web mind could read French authors Joël de Rosnay and Pierre Lévy; but that I know, they do onot use the individual-level comparison.

2. Andrés Hohendahl
    29 November, 2011 at 16:10

Sorry, wasted my time reading such a bunch of blah blah! on AI -Mind – God – bot webpage.. all words filled with garbage! Mentiflex is a blah! blah! bot also!
    I recently saw his author: Murray, I guess, He is not well known nor appreciated, on chatbot.org and other forums! – jut read is posts and the replies! (actually no one gives him any attention) So, if you want to waste your CPU cycles, load this pages and if you want to waste your time, mind and intelligence, landing with nothing consistent, read the webpage – as long as this (above) article!

3. marinasantini.ms@gmail.com
    29 November, 2011 at 17:07

@Andres. Thank you for your opinion. From your comment, I understand that you and Arthur have different views. I guess you would assess Arthur’s post as a provocation. And this is also how I interpret it.

By the way, my blog is more about genre classification, text discovery, and search strategies rather than chatbots. But any aspects of artificial intelligence and computational linguistics are welcome, also the controversial and provoking ones. Sparks of innovation can be anywhere after all. e-reputation is somewhat a different (a marginal) topic here…

It is Arthur’s turn to reply, now

4. 29 November, 2011 at 20:37

JF Delannoy wrote:
    “Could he be more specific about the traits shared with a human being ?”

The AI Mind at http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/AiMind.html is still very primitive, but its main trait shared with human beings is the ability to think. At http://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/DeKi I am now trying to re-write the AI Mind to think in German. Another shared trait is forgetfulness, which is programmed into the AI Mind to eliminate the oldest memories and make room for new memories.

JF wrote:
    “Those interested about the web-space as a collective web mind could read French authors Joël de Rosnay and Pierre Lévy; but that I know, they do not use the individual-level comparison.”

Thus far there has been only http://aimind-i.com as a start towards any sort of “collective web mind” originating from the Mentifex AI Mind. Personally, as one independent AI scholar among many, I would like to see “individual” AI Minds arise in fulfillmen of the requirements of http://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/AiEvolution and in conformance with the need to have tightly integrated, local (not Web-wide) mind-grids.

Arthur T. Murray

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *